The Punjab Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW) was created by the Punjab Assembly through the Punjab Commission on the Status of Women Act, 2014 as an oversight body to ensure that laws, policies and programs of the Government of Punjab promote women’s empowerment; that efforts are made for expansion of opportunities for socio-economic development of women, and discrimination against women in all forms is eliminated. PCSW started functioning in March, 2014.
PCSW has a broad mandate, ranging from review of laws, rules, policies, programs and other measures of the government; to monitoring implementation of laws and policies for achievement of gender equality and elimination of discrimination against women. It is also mandated to facilitate and monitor implementation of instruments and obligations affecting women and girls to which Pakistan is a signatory, and advise the Government before ratification or accession to any such proposed international instrument, covenant, protocol or treaty. A key function of the Commission is to undertake research, collect data for policy recommendations, and monitor violation of women’s rights. It is expected to interact with civil society organizations, experts and individuals and develop active associations with other similar institutions in other countries.
PCSW has powers to seek and receive information, data or documents from any official source and holds powers of a civil court to enforce attendance of any person and production of documents. It can also visit any jail, sub-jail, shelter, crisis center, or other place where women are housed and intervene for redress of women’s rights.
- Transparency: we will be honest and open in our functions, and all of our actions will be scrupulous enough to bear public scrutiny
- Professionalism: we will strive to acquire and update the knowledge, attitudes and skills required to perform our duties according to the highest standards of excellence
- Respect: we will act in a polite, courteous and civil manner in all our dealings
- Integrity: we will be morally upright and will follow consistent moral and ethical standards
- Accountability: we will ensure that we are evaluated on the performance and behavior related to our responsibilities
- Gender-sensitivity: we will be sensitive and empathetic to the needs of our own and other genders, and will take into account societal and cultural factors involved in gender-based exclusion and discrimination
- Empowerment of women
- Expansion of opportunities for socio-economic development of women
- Elimination of all forms of discrimination against women