The main functions of Punjab Commission on the Status of Women are as follows:
- Examine policies, programs and other measures taken by the Government to materialize gender equality;
- Review the Punjab laws, rules and regulations affecting the status and rights of women;
- Sponsor, steer and encourage research to generate information, analysis and studies and maintain a database relating to women and gender issues;
- Develop and maintain interaction and dialogue with NGOs, experts and individuals in society at the national, regional and international level;
- Facilitate and monitor implementation of instruments and obligations affecting women and girls to which Pakistan is a signatory and;
- Monitor mechanisms and institutional procedures for redress of violations of women’s rights and individual grievances. This includes inspecting jails, sub-jails, Darul Amans and Women’s Centres or other places of custody, where women and girls are kept.
For more information, refer to Section 9 of The Punjab Commission on the Status of Women Act 2014.